About The Department
Pathology is the study of essential nature of diseases. This fascinating branch of medicine is a bridging discipline between the clinical and non-clinical subjects within the medical curriculum. New emerging trends of many diseases and etiopathogenesis have made pathology department an essential service to the hospital.
Department of Pathology at SMMCHRI
The department is headed by an experienced pathologist of national repute and comprises a team of experienced faculty. They are actively involved in Diagnostic work, Curriculum development, Undergraduate teaching and Research.
They also participate in weekly journal clubs and interdepartmental discussions. National and international conferences give them ample opportunity to involve themselves in different forums.
With the vibrant team in the department of pathology, our vision is to provide best diagnostic services which aids in clinical care and at the same time helps in achieving excellence in both education and research.
The academic wing has two practical halls capable of training 90 students at a time. The faculty makes good use of the demonstration/tutorial rooms that are equipped with modern audio visual aids to enhance their lectures and sessions with the students.
The departmental museum has rare and classical specimens archived with system wise categorization and catalogue of description.
The learning material is abundant in the form of specimens, slides, charts, latest books, journals and good quality demonstration microscopes.
The services rendered by the department of pathology comprises of five domains, namely Hematology, Histopathology, Cytology, Clinical Pathology and Blood banking services.
Our hematology and clinical pathology laboratory offers 24-hr services with automated hematology analyzer for complete blood count with various parameters ranging from cell count to cell morphology.
Fine needle aspiration cytology along with USG- guided Fine needle aspiration cytology is routine in Cytology department. PAP smear study and cytological analysis of various body fluids are also done.
Intraoperative frozen sectional analysis with cryostat is a specialized service provided by the department.
A sophisticated active blood bank is also the pride to our department. Round-the-clock services are available in the blood bank with latest equipments and products available are Whole blood, PRBC, Platelets and FFP.
Our Histopathology Department has state of the art machines with facilities of rapid tissue processing and diagnosis and immunohistochemistry.
Head of the Department
Dr. M. Saraswathi M.B.B.S., M.D.
Former Professor of Pathology at Government Mohan Kumaramangalam, Chengalpattu, Thoothukudi and Kilpauk Medical Colleges and retired as Professor and Director, Institute of Pathology, Madras Medical College.
Also has served as Vice Principal and Dean-in-charge of Thoothukudi Medical College during 2009-10.
Has been a Professor of Pathology in SMMCHRI since June 2016.
Completed GCP certification in 2021 and is a member of the Institutional Ethics Committee.
- Padmavathy K, Vuttaradhi VK, Venu A, D’Cruze L, Saravanan R, Pitani R, Ganesh K, Pacharla H, Rayala SK, Prathiba D, Venkatraman G. Clinical Evaluation of Proline, Glutamic acid, and Leucine-Rich Protein 1 Expression in Astrocytomas and Correlations with the Proliferation Marker Ki-67. Journal of Molecular Neuroscience. 2021 Apr;71(4):724-33.
- Sridevi V, Mathew LR, Saraswathi M, Vijayalakshmi CS. Identification of helicobacter pylori infection in gastric biopsies: Prevalence and associated histopathology. International Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Pathology 2020; 3(3): 238-243
- Mathew LR, Sridevi V, Saraswathi M, Vijayalakshmi CS. Histopathological evaluation of upper gastrointestinal endoscopic biopsies in a tertiary care Centre. International Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Pathology 2020; 3(3): 108-112
- Padmavathy K, Gramani A V., Illavarasan E., &Vijayalakshmi CS. (). A demographic study of a series of eosinophilic appendicitis and its correlation with the clinicopathological profile in a tertiary care hospital-a 3-year study. Tropical Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, 2020: 6(2), 161-7.
- Sarumathy G. Myoepithelioma of the lacrimal gland-a case report. University Journal of Pre and Paraclinical Sciences. 2019 Dec 27;5(9).
- Sujatha R, Jaishree T, Manjunatha YA. Analysis of spectrum of Prostate lesions in correlation with Serum Prostate specific antigen levels–A clinicopathological study in a tertiary care centre. IP Journal of Diagnostic Pathology and Oncology. 2019 Sep 15;4(3):175-9.
- Padmavathy K & Gramani A V &Ilavarasan, E & Thanasekaran V & Prathiba D. (). Expression of EGFR in Primary Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Lung. Saudi Journal of Pathology and Microbiology. 2019, 04: 825-28.
- Sujatha R, Jaishree T, Neetha R, Manjunatha YA. Cervical Lymphadenopathy: A Histomorphological study at a Tertiary care hospital. IP Journal of Diagnostic Pathology and Oncology. 2019 Jun 15;4(2):130-3.
- Prema Devi E, C N SaiShalini, D Prathiba. Prevalence of lung carcinomas in a tertiary care center and correlation with clinicopathological parameters. MedPulse International Journal of Pathology. 2019 June: 10(3): 184-189.
- Sujatha R, Jaishree T. Histomorphological analysis of uterine and cervical lesions in hysterectomy specimens at a tertiary care hospital. IP Journal of Diagnostic Pathology and Oncology. 2019 Mar 15;4(1):72-7.
- Prema Devi E., C.N., Prathiba D. Expression of EGFR in non small cell lung carcinoma. Tropical Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, 2019 5(7), 484-492.
- Anushuya G, Chandramohan A, Karkuzhali P, Saraswathi M. Fungal rhinosinusitis: A clinicomorphological study in a tertiary institute. Indian Journal of Pathology and Oncology. 2019 Jan;6(1):35-8.
- Prema Devi E, Mathew LR, Alavandar E, Study of cytopathological pattern of cervical pap smears in a tertiary care hospital in Mangadu, Chennai. MedPulse International Journal of Pathology. 2018 July: 7(1): 01-04.
- Mohanraj S, Mathew LR, Sylvia JL, Vijayasarathy V. Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma, Lumbar Region-A Case Report. Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Research 2018 Nov: 6(11): 66-75
- JayanandhiniM , Ramya P , Saraswathi M, Immunohistochemical Expression in Gliomas – CD117 in a Prognostic and Theranostic Vision. International Journal of Science and Research. 2018 May; 9 (5): 1526-33
- V., Muralitharan S., and Thanka. J, Diagnostic Value of Immunohistochemistry in Soft Tissue Tumors: Annals of Pathology and Laboratory MEdicine. 2017 Nov 4(6): 768-73.
- Mathew LR, Annapurneswari S, Mallikarjuna VS. Immunohistochemistry in 169 Cases of Pituitary Adenoma. Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Research 2017 Jan: 5(1): 15884-901
- Muthukanagarajan SJ, Karnan I, Srinivasan P, Sadagopan P, Manickam S. Diagnostic and prognostic significance of various histopathological features in extrahepatic biliary atresia. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR. 2016 Jun;10(6):EC23.