about the Department
The Department of Dentistry in Sri Muthukumaran Medical College Hospital and Research Institute is a branch of medicine that consist of the study, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity commonly in the dentition, it also involves the oral mucosa and of adjacent and related structures and tissues particularly in the maxillofacial region. The dental treatment carried out in our dental department comprises of restoration of teeth, extraction or surgical removal of teeth, scaling and root planning, endodontic root canal treatment, cosmetic dentistry, full mouth rehabilitation with removal, fixed partial dentures and implants. Precancerous, oral cancer screening and oral biopsy are also carried out in our department.
Head of the Department
HOD of Anatomy is the first stepping stone in laying out a firm foundation for medical aspirants. With the sound grasp of normal body structure; medical professionals are able to reason out a just rationale towards any disease.
Academic teaching comprises of 9 Subdivisions along with Research education to stimulate and boost new ideas in Research domain. Postgraduate and other allied students also undergo training in the department.
The subject dynamism attracts General and Super Speciality surgeons to revisit cadaveric lab for advance skill sharpening and explore new surgical interventions on cadavers.
- Hameed Fathima, Harish et al. Hydrolytic enzymes as potential biochemical GCF markers among smokers with chronic periodontitis. Annals of international medical and dental research. (september )2019; vol 5; issue 5.
- Hameed Fathima , Harish et al . Evaluation of alkaline phosphatase in gingival crevicular fluid among chronic periodontitis patients with smoking habit . Journal of advanced medical and dental sciences research; (july), 2019; Volume 7; issue 7.
- Hameed Fathima, Harish et al. Enzymatic Profile of Alkaline and Acid Phosphatase in GCF of Patients with Chronic Periodontitis. Published in Journal of dental and medical sciences march 2018 ; vol 17 ; issue 3 ; 21-26.
- J, Suresh Balaji R,V et al . Mandibular canine width , intercanine distance and mandibular canine index as a tool for sex determination in south Indian population. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine 2017.
- Hameed Fathima, Harish et al . Immediate Implant Placement with GBR “A proven method for Dehiscence correction – A 5 year follow up case report. International journal of current research vol 7, Issue 08, pp 19667-19670, August, 2015.
- Hameed Fathima, Harish et al. Osteostimulatory effect of bone grafts on fibroblast cultures. Journal of Natural science Biology and Medicine; vol 6 , issue 2, p 291 – 294; July 2015.
- Hameed Fathima, Harish et al A comparison of efficiency of biopolymer & allograft matrix with autogenous gingival graft used in root coverage procedure. Journal of Pharmacy & Bioallied sciences; August 2015; vol 7; supplement 2; 695 -699.
- Hameed Fathima, Harish et al . Perforated schneiderian membrane repair during sinus augmentation in conjunction with immediate implant placement. Journal of Pharmacy an Bioallied Sciences 2014; Issue 6 :Supplement 174-7.
- Abdul Samad, Suresh Balaji R.V et al . Oral manifestation of Plummer vinson Syndrome. A case report with literature review. Journal of International Oral Health 2015.