About the Department
The Department of Microbiology comprises experienced educators and researchers providing education to both undergraduate and post graduate students to achieve the goal of higher learning excellence in Microbiology.
- MBBS students
- Basic sciences for PG students.
Classes are conducted for paramedical workers as part of hospital infection control. During I MBBS course department faculties are involved in Foundation and Orientation program. During MBBS phase II, faculties of Department make an effort to integrate the essence of Microbiology with its applied aspects pertaining to diagnosis and research.
The Microbiology laboratory has state-of-the-art diagnostic equipments which are of current international standards. We provide newer diagnostic services for better patient care.
Department of Microbiology, provides round the clock laboratory service which caters to the out-patients and in-patients of our Hospital, Hospital infection control program, Biomedical waste management, Water surveillance and Operation Theatre surveillance. Participating in EQAS (External quality assurance scheme) being conducted by CMC, Vellore.
Research articles are published every year in National and International journals by Faculties.
Diagnostic service laboratory with the following sections:
- Bacteriology including Anaerobic.
- Virology ( including Molecular Diagnostics)
- Media preparation and storage.
- Decontamination & Autoclaving.
LIST OF TEST
Acid fast stain-AFB(RNTCP)
Fungal stain – LPCB and KOH
Motion ova and cyst, Occult blood
Hanging drop – Motility
Bacterial culture – Fluids
Sputum & other respiratory samples
Fungal culture & Sensitivity testing
Antibiotic susceptibility testing
Leptospirosis Ig G,IgM – card test
Syphilis – VDRL; TPHA – card test
Chikungunya IgM – Card test
Dengue( NS1 Ag, IgG, IgM) – Card test
Scrub typhus – Card test
Rheumatoid arthritis – slide agglutination test
Anti streptolysin O – slide agglutination test
C – Reactive protein – slide agglutination test
RT-PCR for COVID- 19 (NABL accredited)
Research articles are published every year in National and International journals by Faculties.
Faculties are involved in the following research activities
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of Bacteria.
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of Drug resistance in Bacteria
- Seroprevalence of viral infection.
- Molecular characterization of Viruses
- Prevalence of Parasitic infections
- Clinical correlation of fungal infections.
Medical students are being encouraged and nurtured in Academics and Research.
Head of the Department
Dr. G. Sumathi MBBS, MD, PhD
Formerly Professor of Microbiology, Kilpauk Medical College
Formerly Professor of Microbiology, Institute of Microbiology, Madras Medical College
Formerly Director and Professor, Institute of Microbiology, Madras Medical College
Formerly Director King institute of preventive medicine (FAC)
Best teacher award by Dr. Tamil Nadu MGR Medical University
Lifetime achievement award for outstanding contribution in field of medical microbiology at the international conference conducted by MRS Medical Science and Research Educational Trust
- Kamalraj, et al. A study on clinical profile and laboratory parameters ofdengue fever patients in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. IP Int J Med Microbiol Trop Dis 2021;7(1):28-31.
- Kamalraj, Jeevan, Sowmya, Sumathi, Mohanakrishnan, Nithyalakshmi, Dhevahi. Clinical profile and atypical manifestation of dengue fever cases between 2011 and 2018 in Chennai, India. J Family Med Prim Care 2020; 9:1119-23.
- Jeevan et al., “An update on origin of SARS-CoV-2: Despite closet identity, bat [RaTG13] and pangolin derived Coronaviruses varied in the critical binding site and O- linkedglycan residues” – Journal of Medical Virology 2020–Accepted for publication.
- Nithyalakshmi,Mohanakrishnan,Sumathi,Sowmya,Jeevan,Kamalraj.Antimicrobial resistance profile in clinical isolates of pseudomonas aeruginos producing extended spectrum beta lactamase (ESBL) at teaching tertiary care hospital,Tamilnadu. Int.J.Res.Pharm.Sci,2020;11:1140-1147.
- ICMR- STS- FUNDED- PROJECT on Dental Carries in Housekeeping staff of Sri Muthukumaran Medical College Hospital and Research Institute. “Genbank submission: GenBank Accession Numbers,MT418895-MT418896.- 2020.
- Jeevan et al. Improved detection of esp, hyl, asa1, gelE, cylA virulence genes among clinical isolates of Enterococci. BMC Res Notes.2020; 13(1): 170.
- Kiruthiga , Padmavathy , Shabana , Gnanadesikan , Jeevan . Higher Incidence of Pristinamycin Resistance among Enterococcus Faecium with iMLSB/cMLSB Biomed Pharmacol J 2020; 13
- Anitha, Hemapriya, Sumathi et al., the cause and frequency of pesplanus flat foot problems among young adults.IJSR. Volume ,issue 7, 2020.
- Anitha, Sumathi, Dhevahi, Shamili. A study on presence of parasites in commonly used raw herbal greens IJSR,Vol 9; issue :7, 2020.
- Sumathi et al., Isolation, identification and Biochemical Characterization of vibrios species from shrimp hatcheries near Pondicherry coast, TamilNadu, India. International Journal of Engineering, Applied Sciences and Technology 2019; 4(7), 2455 – 2143.
- Sumathi et al., Fosfomycin Susceptibility among urinary Enterococcus Faecalis with High level Aminoglycoside and Glycopeptides Resistant phenotypes Indian Journal for public Health Research & Development, December 2019;.10(12)
- et al., High level Aminoglycoside Resistance in clinical Isolates of Enterococci Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development 2019 10; 2938 – 2941.
- Jeevan et al., Fosfomycin Susceptibility among urinary Enterococcus Faecalis with High level Aminoglycoside and Glycopeptides Resistant phenotypes Indian Journal for public Health Research & Development, 2019 ; :No. 12.
- Anitha , Sumathi, Nithyalakshmi, Emergence of imipenem resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolated form clinical samples in a tertiary care hospital in kancheepuram district. Int.j.Adv. :2019;(11); 542 – 547
- Nithyalakshmi et al., Comparison of blood clot culture with conventional and Biphasic for the diagnosis of enteric fever Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 2018; 7(1):1829-1834
- Nithyalakshmi et al., Impact of cigarette smoke on respiratory pathogens in biofilm production Indian Journal of Microbiology Research 2018; (2); 163 – 167.
- Dhevahi, Anitha, Sumathi Susceptibility Pattern of E.Coli to Fluroquinolones as a Uropathogen, Study in a Tertiary Care Hospital at Mangadu between 2016-2018. IOSR-JDMS 2018; 11; 6: 54-57.
- Jeevan , Kamalraj , Anandan , Sowmya , Dhevahi , Mohanakrishnan Nithyalakshmi , Sumathi , Aswithini , Gokul Genetic characterization of Dengue viruses circulates in Chennai, India. GenBank, Nucleotide 2018. MK328806 – 15, MK328879 – 80 and MF489720 – 21].
- Savitha and Yogananth A study of prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of methicillin resistant staphylococcus. Int J Pharma Bio Sci. 2018. 9(1): (B) 204-208.
- Sumathi, Anitha. A study on prevalence of bacterial contamination of stethoscopes used by the health care workers in . IJAMSCR.2017; 5(2)
- Sumathi, Anitha. Prevalence of HIV co infection among pulmonary tuberculosis patients in a tertiary care hospital setting. SAJB,2017 5(8)
- Mohanakrishnan, Nithyalakshmi, Sowmya et al., Antibacterial activity of aqueous infusion and decoction of dried leaves of oregano on clinical bacterial isolates.Indian Journal of Microbiology Research 2017;Vol.4(4):442-447.
- Mohanakrishnan, Nithyalakshmi , Sowmya Jeevan, Sumathi. Whatsapp enhances medical education: Is it the future? International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health. 2017 ; vol 6 (2):353-358.
- Study on antibiotic profile of MDR Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated from burn patients; Tip off treatment of choice. Indian Journal of Applied Research 2017; 7(10).
- Nithyalakshmi,Mohankrishan and sumathi. Study on bacterial Flora of Burn Wound Infection: A Need for Microbiological Surveillance in Burn Unit Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.sci.2014.6(5)
- Jeevan, Krishnaswamy, Sambandan Alandur Paramasivan,Gokul Radhakrishnan. A Case of Emphysematous Pyelonephritis with Septic Shock. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 2017; 16(5): 882.
- Jeevan , Sanjeeva Reddy Nellapillai, Padmasani Venkat Ramanan, Abinaya Gokul. Serum Th1/Th2 Cytokine Levels During Acute Mumps Infection:Prediction To Infertility Patients with History of Mumps Infection. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 2017; 16(5): 83-90.
- Sumathi, Sowmya. A study on invitro antimicrobial activity of coconut water and coconut oil on candida species. WJPR 4(12); 2016: 266-68.
- Sumathi Paediatric leptospirosis: A population based case control study from Chennai, India . IJMM 2016;34 (2);228-232.
- Sumathi, Selvaraj Stephen, Kamalraj. Prevalence of MDR TB in suspected pulmonary tuberculosis patients in a tertiary hospital kancheepuram, chennai, Tamilnadu. International organization of scientific research volume 15; (4 )2016: pp 106-108.
- Mohanakrishnan, Sowmya, Jeevan ,Nithyalakshmi Sumathi A study o antibacterial effect of grape seed extracts in common clinical and drug resistance International journal of clinical trials. 2016.
- Nithyalakshmi , Sumathi , Detection of Diabetes in Smear Positive Pulmonary Tuberculosis Patients Attending Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital, Tamilnadu, India JMSCR 2016;4(8)12066-68.
- Nithyalakshmi ,Mohanakrishnan , Sumathi . ESBL producing clinical isolates of Pseudomonas areuginosa . Is it a scary nightmare or paper tiger? Indian Journal of Microbiology Research 2016; Vol.3(3)
- Nithyalakshmi et al., Perception of medical students on usefulness of interactive lectures: Can it be a welcome change? International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research 2016; 7(6): 270-273.
- Nithyalakshmi, Sumathi . HIV co infection among Pulmonary Tuberculosis infected persons in and around District of Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu, India. .Indian Journal of Microbio Research 2016;3(3).
- Nithyalakshmi, Mohanakrishnan, Sumathi .Prevalence of ESBL Producing Klebsiella Species and Their in-Vitro Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern in A Tertiary Care Hospital IOSR Journal Of Dental and Medical Science 2016(IOSR – JDMS Volume 15,Issue 11 pp 05-10)
- Dhevahi, Sumathi,et al., Study on Uropathogens with Antimicrobial Susceptibility pattern in the elderly at a tertiary care hospital- Mangadu, south chennai India JMSCR 2016;4:10026-32.
- Jeevan , Padmasani Venkat Ramanan, Dinesh Subramaniam, Thangam Analysis of Serum Th1/Th2 Cytokine Levels in Patients with Acute Mumps Infection. Journal of Global Infectious Diseases 2016; 8(2): 87.
- Sowmya , Jeevan , Mohanakrishnan, Priyadharshini, Sumathi, Savitha , Kamalraj .A Study on Antibiotic Sensitivity Pattern in Biofilm Positive and NegativeIsolates of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Isolated From Clinical Samples. JMSCR 2016; 04(03): 9798-801.
- Kamalraj et al.,Surgical site infection and incidence of MRSA using phenotypic and genotypic methods from tertiary care hospital, 2016.
- Sumathi Complete sequencing of an IncX3 plasmid carrying blaNDM-5 allele reveals an early stage in the dissemination of the bla NDM gene Indian Journal of medical Microbiology Jan –mar 2015 ;Vol-33: Issue –pg 30-38.
- Sumathi et al., Changing trends of leptospirosis in Chennai city International journal of recent trends is science and technology. 2015;14( 3), 537-39.
- Sumathi et al.,.Urinary tract infection in children in Chennai – Mangadu are International journal of recent trends in science and technology August 2015 ; 16(1) : 53 – 55.
- Sumathi et al.,.Risk factors for low mineral density in Chennai – Mangadu International medical journal March 2015; 2 (3): 111-114.
- Sumathi,Mohanakrishnan HIV reverse transcriptase gene mutations in anti – retroviral treatment naïve rural people living with HIV / AIDS. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology (2015); 33(4): 565 -567.
- Nithyalakshmi J, Mohanakrishnan K, Sumathi G Analysis of antibiogram of Pseudomonas aeruginosa from various clinical specimens with special reference to MDR – Cause for concern.World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research Oct 2015; 4(11):1631-1643.
- Nithyalakshmi, Akila , Mohanakrishnan , Sumathi Evaluation of resistance profile of Pseudomonas aeruginosa with reference to biofilm production – An emerging challenge. IOSR – Journal of dental and medical sciences Nov 2015; 14(11):13-18.
- Jeevan , Sowmya , Mohanakrishnan ,Sumathi , Classification of drug resistance and novel single plate sensitivity testing to screen ESBL, AMP, MBL in MDR, XDR and PDR IOSR-JDMS. 2015;14(10) P54-59.
- Sowmya, Antifungal susceptibility testing for dermatophytes isolated from clinical samples by broth dilution method in a tertiary care hospital. JMR.(7); 2015-64-67.
- Sowmya, Jeevan, Mohanakrishnan Sumathi .Polyparasites in Immuno competent with renal calculi- case report. International journal of Health sciences & Research. Volume 5, Issue 7, July 2015; 526-528 .